Sunday, November 4, 2012

It is hard to believe that Wounded Warriors at Nebo ministry is celebrating a year of service! The ministry started with four women who felt that God was asking them to serve the wounded warriors and their families who have sacrificed so much for their country. The ministry has grown from four women to an interdenominational one which is under the auspice of the Fredericksburg United Methodist Church in Fredericksburg, Texas. It has been an amazing journey and one that I think is time to share. Three of my friends and I felt that we had been called to reach out to our wounded warriors to assure them that they are appeciated and loved. We are all at the "grandma" stage of our lives and the sight of our injured young people pulled on our heart strings. We all wanted to invite small groups of them for a respite week end in the Hill Country of Texas. We wanted a chance to tell them that we care about them. We really didn't know how to get started, but God always seems to step in and make things possible. My husband came home one day to inform me that Judith Markeltz,the Director of the Warrior and Family Support Center at Fort Sam Houston, would be speaking at his Rotary club. He wanted to know if I wanted to be his guest to hear her speak. Well, you know what my answer was - a resounding YES. All I could think of while she was speaking was that I needed to run to the front of the room to talk to her as soon as the meeting was over. I could hardly wait to tell her that some of us wanted to host a few of the warriors for a week end or two in the Fredericksburg area. After my sprint to the front, getting in line to talk to her, eyeing her every minute to make sure she wasn't going to escape, and finally facing her and sharing our wonderful idea, I was disappointed when she told me she didn't think they would come. However, being given a direction and goal, I don't give up easily. My brain quickly went over her speech, trying to see if my friends and I could help the warriors in any other way. She stated that she was always looking for craft classes to offer. Well, I have very talented friends - some of them are more than crafty. SO I offered our services. She didn't give me an immediate yes, but was willing to hear what we had to say. So,as soon as possible, I asked my buddies if they would be willing to show off their talents in an effort to teach a craft class at the Warrior and Family Support Center - fiber art, painting, stained glass, card making, etc. Once they said yes, we made an appointment with Judith. We were about to begin our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment